Are you bored with your iDevice and want to customize it a little? Well here is your opportunity. The untethered jailbreak for iDevices on the software 5.0.1 is finally here. This jailbreak will not work on the iPhone 4s, the GSM version of the iPhone 4, or the iPad 2. There are previous tethered jailbreaks, which will disappear once you have to restart your iDevice, or if it dies on you. But the untethered jailbreak will stay on your iDevice even if you do happen to let the battery run down, or you turn it off. Here are the steps to jailbreak your 5.0.1 iDevice:
1. Download Redsn0w from the download section below.
>> If you are on Windows Vista or Windows 7 then right click Redsn0w and set compatibility to windows XP (service pack 2) and then run it as the administrator.
2. Hit “Jailbreak” and enter DFU mode by following the steps on the screen. The steps are:
I. Hold down the power button for 3 seconds
II. Continue holding the power button and start holding the home button and continue holding both buttons for 10 seconds.
III. Let go of the power button and continue holding the home button until RedSn0w starts to exploit your device.
3. Select install Cydia
4. Wait for the jailbreak to finish and for your iDevice to reboot (This should take about 10 minutes)
Also watch the video tutorial at…
For the “semitethered” jailbreak, you will need to follow these steps:
1. Jailbreak with your iDevice with Redsn0w’s tethered Jailbreak
2. Open Cydia and follow Step 2a if you’re on either an iPhone or an iPod Touch, or Step 2b if you’re on an iPad
>>Go to Manage > Sources >Edit (top right corner) > Add (top left corner)
>>Go to Sources > Edit (top right corner) > Add (top left corner)
3. Add the following source: http://thebigboss.org/semitether
You now have your semi untethered Jailbreak for iOS 5!
Here’s more information on the “semitetherd” Jailbreak (that’s the official name) from BigBoss:
1) Can use phone, sms (text messages)
2) Can use every other stock app on iphone.
3) Cannot use mobile safari
4) Can use other appstore web browsers such as atomic web browser
5) Cannot use mail app. You could install a gmail app from appstore or such instead.
6) You cannot use any jailbreak tweak, app, cydia until you boot tethered.
7) While in the semitether booted state, you should not add a jailbreak ios5 notification such as sbsettings to notifications during this state or your device will be stuck in a respring loop until you get home to “boot tethered”