At the general availability of Windows 8.1 on October 18, new apps will flush into the store. Many of these apps are exclusive to Windows 8.1 and are not compatible with Windows 8.0. But how will Windows 8 users see these exclusive Windows 8.1 apps? As it turns out, Windows 8 users can, indeed, see Windows 8.1 apps on the Windows 8 store.
When Windows 8.1 launches, exclusive Windows 8.1 apps will be listed in the Windows 8.0 store with a big banner asking them to update to the new OS if they want to take advantage of the app. This is what it will look like.
As you can see, Movie Moments is an app incompatible with Windows 8. Therefore, users of Windows 8 still see the app on the Windows Store, but rather than an Install button, they have a button that takes them to the Windows 8.1 download page. Microsoft wants to do the best they can in order to promote the new OS as well as get users to the latest version so that developers can target more customers while taking advantage of the latest features and APIs of Windows 8.1.
Source: BUILD 2013
- How to Install Apps in Windows 8.1 (gottabemobile.com)
- Windows 8.1 May Have Featured App Showcase on the Start Screen (mcakins.com)
- Microsoft may soon merge Windows Phone and Windows 8 app store (mobigyaan.com)
- Microsoft Increases Windows Store App Roaming Limit from 5 to 81 Devices (windowsobserver.com)
- MS Giftcard Activated for the Windows App Store (mcakins.com)